Newsletter, February 2015
Congratulations to Ms Orla O’ Doherty and her husband, Barry on the birth of their son, Shay; to Ms Lorraine Smith and her husband, Ron on the birth of their son, Harry.
Enrolments for 2015
The closing date for applications for enrolment in our school was Friday, 30 January. Places will be allocated immediately after the mid-term break. The demand for places has been greater than the number of places available so there will be a waiting list.
Whole School Evaluation
Very many thanks and congratulations to all members of our school community who have been so consistently hard-working and co-operative. This tremendous, communal spirit and goodwill were very clearly demonstrated during the recent Whole School Evaluation. A draft copy of the report has now been received, and some of the following quotations will give a flavour of the Department of Education and Science’s evaluation of the work of our school. A copy of the report will be available shortly on the Department of Education’s website, www.education.ie
- “The school’s board of management has successfully supported the ongoing development of a well-resourced and inclusive school”;
- “Pupils are very interested in their work, applying themselves to tasks and learning activities with focus and enthusiasm. Their work is presented to a very high standard”;
- “Support for pupils with additional learning needs is provided in a purposeful and engaging manner”;
- “Pupils display a keen interest in English, reading and Mathematics”
- “Very good provision is in place for Visual Arts”
- “The school is proactive and reflective in its self-evaluation work. This work is supported by very good whole-school and teacher planning.”
Annual Christmas Raffle: €2987.50; St Vincent de Paul Collection: €600; Mathletics: 209 boys registered.
- The cross-country teams continue to participate in the events which are organised by Fingal County Council
- Training for the Gaelic Football, Hurling and Soccer teams continues apace, and all are now ready for the commencement of competitive action
- We thank Fingallians GFC for providing coaching each week for our pupils
The school website, www.colmcilles.net, has been re-developed. Many of the classes have their own blogs which show many of the activities with which the children engage during the day. Parents and other family members may like to check out the blog for their sons’ class(es). Click here to view the class blogs.
Well done to the pupils who completed their post-primary assessments last week. We remind parents that Colaiste Choilm operates a waiting list system so it is important to register your son if he wishes to attend that school. Fingal and St Finian’s Community Colleges take applications on the year in which the pupils are in 6th Class.
Congratulations to the boys in Ms Powell’s and Ms Flanagan’s Classes who received the Sacrament of First Penance on Tuesday, 3 February 2015
Thursday, 5 February Remembrance Prayer Service
Tuesday, 3 March Retreat for pupils in 6th Classes
Tuesday, 24 March Multi-cultural Evening
Wednesday, 29 April Confirmation
Saturday, 16 May First Holy Communion
Mid-Term Break 16th – 20th February (Inclusive)
Every good wish to all members of our school community for a happy and safe mid-term break.
Ní neart go cur le chéile